November 27, 2013
Teach for China: 10 US Alumni Named Ambassadors to 100K Strong
Dear Supporters of Teach For China,
I am thrilled to announce that Teach For China has named 10 Alumni Ambassadors to the 100,000 Strong Foundation under our Signature Partnership. These alumni were celebrated at the 100,000 Strong Inaugural Conference in Washington, DC on Thursday, November 21, an event highlighting the importance of the US-China bilateral relationship and featuring a keynote address from Vice Premier Liu Yandong.
Teach For China alum Justin Halpern (2011-2013) spoke about his experiences teaching in rural Yunnan Province during a panel led by Ford Foundation President Darren Walker. Justin shared that although he joined Teach For China without speaking Mandarin, he is now proficient in the language and pursuing a career in diplomacy as a graduate student at Georgetown University’s Walsh School of Foreign Service.
Justin is one of ten American alumni of Teach For China chosen to represent the 100,000 Strong mission to promote the US-China strategic relationship through cultural exchange. Since leaving the Fellowship, all ten alumni have remained connected to China and to strengthening the bilateral relationship. The 2013-2014 Teach For China Student Ambassadors are:
- Jarlene Choy, US Recruiting Manager, Teach For China
- Andrew Coflan, MA candidate, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- Gareth Collins, MA candidate, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- Justin Halpern, MSFS candidate, Georgetown School of Foreign Service
- Alexander Jones, Program Director, Princeton in Asia
- Karman Lucero, JD candidate, Columbia Law School
- Kathryn (Katie) Martin, MPH candidate, Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University
- Caitlin Moss, MA candidate, Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS)
- Kristen Van Breen, MA candidate, Teacher’s College of Columbia University
- Gary Wang, MPP candidate, Harvard Kennedy School of Government
This is an incredibly exciting partnership that truly demonstrates Teach For China’s ability to prepare the next generation of cross-cultural leaders from China and the US through a long-term service initiative.
Thank you all for your continued support of Teach For China and the important work our Fellows and alumni are doing, from China to the United States!
Executive Director (US)
Learn more about Teach for China on their website.