Open Position: Director of Programs and Communications
Company: US-China Strong Foundation
Location: 2101 L Street NW, Suite 800 Washington, DC 20037
Time commitment: Full-time
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Start Date: Position to be filled immediately
Application Due: Friday, October 7, 2016
The US-China Strong Foundation is a nonprofit organization that seeks to strengthen US-China relations by investing in a new generation of leaders who have the knowledge and skills to engage with China. Established in 2013 as the 100,000 Strong Foundation – and re-launched in 2016 as the US-China Strong Foundation – the organization leads a national movement to ensure the next generation of US leaders is equipped to engage effectively with China: a global strategic power, the second largest economy in the world and America’s fastest growing trade partner. US-China Strong leads three signature campaigns that focus on supporting the full spectrum of American youth, spanning from our youngest students through young professionals entering China-related careers.
- 1 Million Strong:1 Million Strong is a national campaign to expand fivefold Mandarin language learning in US K-12 schools from approximately 200,000 to 1 million by 2020. Presidents Barack Obama and Xi Jinping announced this ambitious effort in 2015.
- 100K Strong: Announced in 2009, 100K Strong is a presidential initiative whose initial goal of seeing 100,000 Americans studying in China by 2014 was surpassed. US-China Strong continues to work with both Washington and Beijing to expand and diversify US study abroad to China.
- US-China Alumni Ambassador Network: The Foundation’s robust and growing US-China Alumni Ambassador Network engages American and Chinese youth who have participated in cross-cultural exchange programs, connecting and cultivating these future leaders as they pursue professional careers.
The Director of Programs and Communications serves the critical role of leading the Foundation’s communications and programming portfolio. He/she will report to the Chief Operating Officer (COO) as well as serve as a trusted advisor to the senior management team, based in both Washington, DC and Beijing, China.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Program and Project Management: Oversee the coordination and administration of programming related to the Foundation’s three signature campaigns: 1 Million Strong, 100,000 Strong, and the US-China Alumni network. The incumbent will also oversee the Foundation’s research assistants program.
- Communications and Marketing: Collaborate with senior management and external public relations team to develop overall foundation messaging. Includes the development of communications plans as well as the drafting of press releases, newsletters, op-eds and other external relations opportunities. The incumbent will also manage the Foundation’s event planning, social media, web and digital content.
Skills and Abilities:
- Five or more years of experience in at least one of the following fields: program/project management, public relations, or strategic planning
- Demonstrated interest in and understanding of US-China relations
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, professionalism, ability to work independently and to contribute innovative ideas in a fast-paced startup environment
- Ability to prioritize competing tasks, attentiveness to detail and organization
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Mastery of Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, Campaign Monitor, Survey Monkey and mainstream social media platforms
- Mandarin language skills preferred but not required
Education: Undergraduate degree (required), graduate degree (preferred)
Submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com