Open Position: Special Assistant
Company: US-China Strong Foundation
Location: 2101 L Street NW, Suite 800 Washington, DC 20037
About the Foundation
The US-China Strong (USCS) Foundation’s mission is to strengthen US-China relations through Mandarin language learning and study abroad in China. The Foundation is leading a national movement to ensure that the next generation of Americans is equipped to engage effectively with China. The Foundation engages US and Chinese government, business, and academic communities in an effort to expand the number and diversity of Americans studying abroad in China and learning Mandarin. We invest in strategic partnerships at the state and local level, and mobilize a robust group of student ambassadors to promote the Foundation’s mission at the grassroots level. The Foundation is recognized globally as an organization of excellence and enjoys the strong support of U.S. and Chinese private and public sector partners.
The Special Assistant provides support to the CEO, President, and Board of Directors and serves as manager of the Research Assistant (RA) program. In this role, the Special Assistant has significant autonomy and is expected to be a self–starter who is able to work directly on high-profile initiatives and projects with discretion.
Tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
• Manages the CEO’s schedule, coordinates meeting times, and acts as point of contact
• Organizes travel plans for the CEO and President, makes flight arrangements, arranges meetings, creates and manages itineraries, etc.
• Schedules and takes minutes for all Board Committee Calls & Meetings, organizes lodging and transportation for Board Members for all Board Meetings and other Board-related events
• Manages RA program by creating and posting RA position openings for Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters; interviews, hires, and trains RAs; and supervises them throughout the semester
• Assists with USCS event coordination
• Serves as the office manager by ordering supplies, maintaining files, and overseas contact database
• Conducts basic finance-related tasks such as completing monthly expense reports and processing reimbursement requests
• Conducts social media outreach activities
• Undertakes research projects as needed
Skills and Abilities
A successful candidate should possess the following skills:
• Ability to work under tight deadlines and stay poised under pressure
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to serve as a leader and manage a team
• Comfortable interacting with high-level stakeholders
• Strong basic technology skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
• B.A. required
• Knowledge of Mandarin a plus, but not required.
Salary commensurate with experience. Eligible candidates should send a resume and cover letter in an e-mail with the subject line “Special Assistant Application” to email@example.com.