Open Position: Research Assistant
Company: US-China Strong Foundation
Location: 2101 L Street NW, Suite 800 Washington, DC 20037
Time commitment: Part-time (15-20 hours/week) until August 2018
Salary: Semester stipend provided
Start Date: Position to be filled immediately
Application Due: April 16, 2018
The US-China Strong (USCS) Foundation’s mission is to strengthen American capacity to understand China through Mandarin language learning, study in China, and other programs.
The Foundation engages US and Chinese government, business, and academic communities to expand the number and diversity of Americans studying abroad in China and learning Mandarin. We invest in strategic partnerships at the state and local level, and empower student ambassadors to promote the Foundation’s mission at the grassroots level. USCS enjoys the strong support of U.S. and Chinese private and public sector partners.
US-China Strong leads three signature campaigns that focus on supporting the full spectrum of American youth, spanning from our youngest students through young professionals entering China-related careers.
- 1 Million Strong:1 Million Strong is a national campaign to expand fivefold Mandarin language learning in US K-12 schools from approximately 200,000 to 1 million by 2020. Presidents Barack Obama and Xi Jinping announced this ambitious effort in 2015.
- 100K Strong: Announced in 2009, 100K Strong is a presidential initiative whose initial goal of seeing 100,000 Americans studying in China by 2014 was surpassed. US-China Strong continues to work with both Washington and Beijing to expand and diversify US study abroad to China.
- US-China Alumni Ambassador Network: The Foundation’s robust and growing US-China Alumni Ambassador Network engages American and Chinese youth who have participated in cross-cultural exchange programs, connecting and cultivating these future leaders as they pursue professional careers.
The Research Assistant (RA) will be a part of a three or four person RA team. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, exciting environment. RAs will gain experience in research, event planning, fundraising strategy, US-China policy, non-profit development, program expansion, and more! More specifically, the RA will support the activities of the senior management in the following ways:
- Researching issues and organizations related to US-China policy, business, education, study abroad, fundraising, etc.
- Editing and developing organizational newsletters, manuals, and correspondences.
- Assisting with the management of event planning logistics (to include hotel management, catering, invitations, on-site logistics, etc.).
- Performing administrative duties including but not limited to: organizing contact list and tracking media coverage of the Foundation.
- Leading special projects as needed.
Research Assistants will have the opportunity to engage in the following long-term projects:
- Collecting data (mainly through the conduction of surveys) on the comprehensive number of Mandarin immersion schools in the United States and recent trends in Mandarin immersion school enrollment, for the Foundation’s 1 Million Strong initiative.
- Providing logistical support in preparation for and during the Foundation’s inaugural China Careers Summit (CCS) in early June 2018, working on tasks such as reaching out to potential speakers and panelists, reviewing applications from candidates interested in attending CCS, and serving as onsite managers during the summit.
Current undergraduate or graduate student
Interest in and general understanding of US-China relations. Current academic focus on US-China relations and good working knowledge of Mandarin are preferred. Experience with translating between Chinese and English is a plus.
Skills and Abilities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Familiarity with SalesForce, WordPress, and InDesign is a plus
- Experience posting content on Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and WeChat
- Strong communication and writing skills
- Ability to independently conduct research
- Highly organized and detail oriented
- Team player mindset
- A good sense of humor appreciated J
Submit cover letter and resume to:
Call 202-903-0764 with questions.